Mead Avenue Bridge, Spanning French Creek at Mead Avenue, Meadville, Crawford County, PA
Significance: Mead Avenue, formerly Dock Street, bears the unusual distinction of having two bridges on the same site at one time. Grafted to the original double-intersection Whipple truss built by Penn Bridge Works, external Baltimore trusses help this 1872 structure carry modern traffic loads. This compromise, born of economizing impulse and public turmoil, has allowed the bridge a longer life than might otherwise have been possible.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N598
Survey number: HAER PA-19
Building/structure dates: 1871-1872 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1911-1912 Subsequent Work